Sunday, September 21, 2014

Episode of Cartoon Making by Triambak



I had left my computer running. When I returned to my table, I found Triambak sitting on the chair and playing with the mouse. He did not even looked at me when I entered the room. I glanced at the monitor. I found that he made two concentric squares with nicely tapered corners. It was definitely a new thing for me. I did not disturb him. I occupied another sitter where I usually read. There was some pending work which I was doing earlier. I continued with that work after occupying the sitter. Just after sometime, I raised my head and again looked at the monitor. The squares had gone. I asked Triambak about the squares he was drawing. He told that he was not satisfied with his graphics therefore, he erased it. I just said in a lamenting voice that if he had saved them, then I would have posted it on the net.

At that time, he was using ink option of the Paint Brush. He was just making a spray of different colours on the sheet. There were no lines or figures on the sheet. It was mere dotted splashes in different colours. I gave a considerate look at his activity. Within short time, Triambak pressed the eraser option of the Paint Brush and started removing the splashes of the colour. At that movement I ventured to suggest him another option. I showed him ‘clear image’ option on ‘View’ on the tool bar. He just hummed but again preferred to use eraser. I did not insist and directed my attention to my own work.

After some time, I again raised by eyes and looked at the monitor. He had drawn an oval. While I was watching, he drew two perfect circles on the upper side of the oval. I guessed in this manner he would make a frog or something like that. Then he placed a circle right within center of one of the circle. It became clear that he was going to make a figure of a man or a frog. It was what going on in my thoughts. I kept watching. He drew another circle within the second circle. It was not perfectly placed within the circle. They boy showed some expression of exasperation and activated the option of eraser. Now I jumped into his activity. I stopped him. I looked at me with some confused expression. I told him to save the sheet first. Suddenly a gleaming grin returned to his face. He turned his head to monitor, went into the file option in the tool bar and clicked the ‘Save’ option. When the sheet of ‘Save’ option opened, I asked him about the name which he was going to give to the sheet.


"Cartoon", he said.


Then he spoke, "Papa, Spellings".


I said, "Caaar and tooone. Toooone is t o o n."


The boy typed the right word and saved it. I asked that why he was going to erase it. He said that he was not satisfied with the second eye. Now I was satisfied that the sheet was saved.

The boy afterwards continued with the job. He again picked the eraser and rubbed off the second eye. Then he again placed a circle within the circle. The picture, which emerged, had started making a sense. I was satisfied and directed my attention to my activity. He suddenly asked me to look at the figure. He had made a cute nose and a fascinating mouth. Now I was fully attracted towards his creation. He started colouring it. He picked a colour for the face. Then he tried to colour his eyes. On the colour panel, there were lesser numbers of shades. I ventured to give him some tips. I showed him how he can find more colours. I used the edit colour option from the tool bar. He picked some colours. After that, he framed the colours of the eyes and placed some straight horizontal lines below the eyes. There was now a weeping cartoon. The picture had really turned up as a good artistic creation. He coloured half of the eyes below in blue colour and rest of it as red. It was really an attractive picture. He then tried to make arms. He was not satisfied with the form. He rubbed it off. He then made the legs. He wanted to rub them off. I stopped him from doing that. He retained the legs and then coloured it. The whole picture had developed into a very attractive work. He then shyly said that he could open the edit colour option by directly double clicking the colour panel. I felt humbled. The boy knew how to edit colours. But when I had tried to show him, he just listened and allowed me to demonstrate. There, he was telling me about the alternative of editing the colours. Well, he is a smart guy.

I asked him to save the work and requested him to let me work on the computer. I told him that I would soon upload it. He left. I saved the cartoon but did not convert it into a jpg file.

We had to visit Ludhiana. Therefore, after finishing my job on the computer, I left the room planning that I would post his cartoon after returning from Ludhiana. However, I did not get time to log on to Internet after returning from Ludhiana. In the morning today, I started writing this detail of making cartoon by Triambak. I started writing the above material. In between I thought to look at the cartoon once more. I opened the file. There was no cartoon.

The boy had sat at computer in my absence. He had made another cartoon. He had demolished the previous cartoon. It was a great loss, as I understand. He has drawn another cartoon but that is not all that attractive. Alas, I could not show what he had actually made.

It is difficult to understand the mind of a child. You may think that he likes a thing in particular way. But you are wrong. The young ones have their own mind and liking. You may not understand it. However, now I have decided that I will save jpg files of his work. Earlier I had been deleting his work. Now he himself has deleted it. It was really a good work but it is now lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment