Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Letter in Support of Google Print


Dear Google,

First of all, be sure, you are doing the right thing. Continue with your activity with full conviction.

I, being a student of history can tell you, that you are getting freedom for the world by bringing the old books on line. Gutenberg.org has been doing this job and they were the only people doing it. However, during the course of my browsing, I have been able to locate similar sources on web which I am regularly posting on sumir-history.blogspot.com.


I will like to attract your attention to one of my post which was mainly a response to a comment on a statement by Miland Brown on World-history-blog.blogspot.com which is at following link. The link is http://sumir-history.blogspot.com/2005/10/counter-to-nonsense.html


In that post, I have just commented on the attitude of the publishers of the books who are now opposing your activity (at the time of commenting I did not know that you were facing the law suits against you from them.). The poor people (publishers) who claim themselves to be big businessmen are unable to foresee that what benefit will this activity bring for them in terms of sale. I will rather suggest that you should put fees on putting anything on google print for publishers if they want their book to be there. No doubt, there are portals that are promoting their books. But they did they fail? It is only because an interested person who can be their buyer just do not get opportunity to see what is there in the book. How can one buy a book without knowing the actual position of content of the book?


I can tell you my experience. If I like a book, I read it for two to three times. But If I have to borrow it again and again from the library, then only I go to buy book. On the other hand, while visiting a bookstore, if I just buy a book because it has just attracted my interest, most of the time, I am not able to read it for many months. For nearly two to three years, I have only bought such books which I have first read it in the library. I suggest you that just show this comment to the publishers who disturbing you by taking you to court.


I have a hunch. Very soon, these people who are taking you to court, will line up and seek personal favour in getting their books on line. They do not know that some of the books which are out of print can again become saleable commodity if they are brought before the readers. There are many such books which did not get the attention of the buyers but they are definitely needed by many readers which include research scholars, educators, students and even those who start trends in the field of business.


If you believe me, then kindly continue with Google Print project. It is going to be a big success. It will be beneficial for the google, the publishers and writers in terms of money and revenue and benefit the readers who are ready to pay for it.


Good wishes.
________
Post Script:
This is an email directed to google blog in response to Google Print Debate
It has reference to a previous post content A Counter to Nonsense and Google Print .

No comments:

Post a Comment