Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Why did I not make it to IAS


Prefatory Note: It is an edited form of letter to one of my friend. He has become my friend through my blog at civilservices-prelims.blogspot.com. He wrote me a letter to which I gave a reply and that is reproduced below at the end of this note.

As the motive of this blog is personal aggrandizement and ego satisfaction, I am reproducing that letter below just because somewhere it brings out those features of personality traits which can be called the real grit and mettel in me. I considered this letter a personal thing and had thought of writing another post for civilservices-prelims.blogspot.com/ based on the contents of this letter. I did not want to post it at all as I wanted to keep it between me and my friend. However, yesterday, I visited one of my acquaintances, who had cleared civil services 2004. While we were rejoicing in his success, his friend also arrived who had also taken examination along with him. He had also faced the interview. His name has not appeared in the final list. He was very dejected.

I really felt pain for that person, who is a medical practitioner, when I learnt that it was his fourth and the last chance. He had appeared for the interview for the third time. It was in itself an achievement.

The father of the successful candidate tried to console the doctor. But the doctor became suddenly very melancholic and sad. He was cursing his stars. He recollected, that how at the time of his selection to MBBS also, he suffered like that. He remembered that during last two chances also he had missed by couple of marks. He said that he might have suffered due to some lesser score in one of the elective paper and he was also not very enthusiastic about the interview as he said that it had not gone well.

When he was repenting like that, suddenly I felt that these were the very feelings which I had suffered when I failed. The very reasons, the cursing of his stars, the previous failures have reflected on his performance. It was similar feelings when I suffered just two months before the Mains which had destroyed my chances.

There are many reasons when you do not achieve success. But, there are many factors which are in your hand and you fail to manage them well and you fail. His melancholic mood, his sadness, his negative talks were such which prompted me that I should place these feelings on blogs. It is meant for civilservices-prelims.blogspot.com/ but it is something mere personal talk. Therefore, I am putting here and will give link on civilservices-prelims.blogspot.com/. It is another aspect which matters in ensuring your success. Apart from doing hard work by preparing different topics of the elective subject and showing persistency in your preparations, the civil services aspirants should also be very particular in disciplining their emotional life. It is also part of organising and planning for the success. There letter which I am reproducing below, was written when the person to whom it was addressed just showed nerves around April 17, 2005, nearly a month before the day of examination. Now when General Studies paper was bit tough this years, such type of mental phases could have become a big hindrance in achieving success.

Hence, apart from preparing for the syllabus, One should also discipline his mood and mental states. That is must. I would like to call it:
Emotion Management : A Key to Success

Anyhow I am reproducing the letter below.

The Letter:

Your letter always remained in my mind and while walking, driving or taking food, I kept on thinking about the contents of a letter to you.

The D Day is approaching and you may also be hard pressed for the time but I wish that you must go through this letter.



First of all the main query:
I clearly remember that I have attempted 98 correct answers in history when I last cleared Prelims. There was enough time for the elective subject. I remember that after answering 98 questions at the very first reading, I had marked the answers there and then when I read them. I was left with lot of time. There was full clarity and movement I read it, I just looked for the right option.

After completing them, I again read the remaining questions, and believe me, I remembered that I did not know the answers to nearly eight of the questions. There were five such questions about which I did not have any idea. I left them and marked only 115 questions. After coming out of the examination hall, when I checked them, I was sure that my 108 questions were correct. In Punjab, one Mr. Vinod Sharma in Patiala is quite popular for coaching for civil services. I visited him and he identified that I had marked 112 correct answer. I remember that I had made marks on those question which I have tried after answering the first 98 question. Vinod Sharma remarked that 92 correct was safe and assured me that I should better start preparing for the mains as I was sure to clear the prelims if I am having 112 correct answer.

In case of general studies, I remembered that , that I have marked 105 correct answers. You do not get time during the examination of General studies to have a spot analysis of the GS paper. Remember that. If this your second attempt, then I hope you know that what I am saying. On the whole, as per Vinod Sharma, I had marked 125 correct answer. I remember that there were mere guess work on the remaining 45 questions and I did not have any clear idea about the questions. I just marked them after making qualified quess.
This much about the performance.

The Method of Marking:
I believe that I must talk about how to mark answers in the examination hall.

I had adopted a particular plan. I used to read the questions on one page and placed a mark against the correct answer without marking it on the OMR answer Sheet. The invigilator earlier used to object to it but now when you are allowed to take back the question papers, I think, if any invigilator stop you from doing it, then ignore it. Once I was highly obstructed by one invigilator for doing that. I do not know any guidelines about it but I think there is no objection by the Commission if you place some marks on the question paper.

After I read one page, I used to mark the OMR sheet. There are usually five to six questions on one page. This is a useful way of doing it.
Remember, In case of General studies, you are not able to complete the whole paper if you read the whole question paper. Just read one page. Identify the right option and then mark OMR. Do not adopt to mark one question at a time. It takes more time. Secondly, It can became a cause of wrong marking. This thing had happened with me. You want to mark an answer to question no 15 but there in stressful condition, You may mark it on 45. It happens. Be careful about such things. If you adopt marking a group of questions then such a possibility is minimised. If you have some better idea, then share it with me.


Now about the nerves:
Now this another major problem. I am sure it happens with all the candidates and the candidate who will top in 2006 must be undergoing the same mental state. That is other thing, that after getting success you may throw air around you and say anything about your confidence. You quote many phrases on success here but the fact is, the fear, the fear of loosing is the main characteristic of human life. It is there with every one.
Now let me start on different lines. You know that I am not an IAS. I tried and I failed. I succeeded to write mains but I failed. I failed after reaching the final post. Why did I fai?

I can give many justifications for that but the fact is, I am not an IAS. I may keep on repenting and finding faults for giving justifications, but it me only who suffers. It does not effect body at all. I have to just live with it.
But I must face it and learn that where it went wrong.
Now nearly ten years have passed and I am mature to face some shortcomings in me. The first shortcoming which I have identified is that I become nervous. Now that is the shortcoming. Now today, when I share this pain with you, I can not do anything about it. This pain will remain there. There was nobody around me to share my jitteriness at that time. You have shared it with me but there was no one there near me at that time. So, it is the major culprit. Do not say that I am jittery. You are stressed. Stress should be there. It helps to bring out the potential in you. The way you manage this stress and continue to work as per the plans and have faith in whatsoever you are doing, all such things will decide your success.

I still remember that when I was preparing for the mains, the floods came in Patiala where I had gone to prepare for mains. It took away nearly a week away from me. I shifted back to my native place in Jalandhar in the month of September. Something happened in my family (something personal) which pushed me into a gloomy mood. I remember that I did not study whole of October. I started somewhere again in November. I obtained 937 marks. I obtained 290 in sociology. (approx. , marklist is with me but it is somewhere in the huge mount of papers which are with me.) I failed miserably in General Studies. Only in history I had obtained 335. I also obtained less marks in essay. I failed.

Now when I look into the notes which I have prepared for sociology and history, I just feel like weeping. Those two months in which I did not study, just changed the whole course of my life. The culprit was that I did not behave in a mature manner. There are many things in life which happens and disturb you but a mature person never takes off his eye from his goal. When I look into the notes which I have made at that time, You can imagine what goes on in my mind. I had prepared notes on all such topics which have been asked in the papers. It was just that I did not revised them and secondly I went gloomy for two months before the papers. Just look at the total. It was 927. Add two months into it, it could have given me 980 and I would have been there in the list.

So no these Jittery, Stress Flip Flop talks. Just shunt them out. Have only one emotion. The paper is there. You have covered a section of the syllabus. Have faith in you. Remember and concentrate what you have prepared. In case of general studies, continue to read the topics from different Refreshers and magazines. If you are writing your notes, (and You must do that even if you are keeping magazines with you, or if you have just copied it from the magazines) continue to add to it.
Remember 100+ in History, 110+ in General studies at the maximum 90+in history and 100+ in general ** a safe going and then start for the mains even before you get the result.

I have hurriedly written it because I have to leave again for my next duty. These are examination days in Punjab and I have to work as invigilator as well as evaluator also for which I have to move from one center to other.
One thing more:
You may find it amusing but now everything is required. Take the help of astrology. Ask you parents to get you kundli checked. Learn about the position of Sun and Jupiter (suyra, guru and budha) in you horoscope and do upayas accordingly. If you sun is in good house then surya archana and Jala must be given. Give green vegetables and chara to cows (buddha). keep you head covered with a cap (buddha). If is white cap, then it will more good. Kacchi Lassi (milk in water) on Shiva linga on Monday (Chandra and Buddha). Yellow laddoos (Bunddi) before the idol of Genesha in a temple (not at home) (Buddha and Rahu). Try them if you do not have time to consult an astrologer. Ask some one at your home to get your horoscope checked and seek upayas for maintaining confidence.
You may find my advice amusing but what is harm in taking this aspect in consideration at this stage.

I may write another letter also before May 15.
sumir.

Another Peculiar Factor thing:
It may amuse many reader further. As I mentioned above, that we were rejoicing in the success of the friend, we also picked the issue that why his brother did not make it to civil services. He was more motivated. Secondly, he was more studious. He made it to medicine when this boy who has cleared civil services had failed to clear CET. His brother has cleared MLE and PLAB. He is becoming quite popular as a doctor.
The reasoning which emerged, may amuse many people but in my circle we believe in it.

The reason is "Nazar" or "BAD EYE". Yes, the similar one, which you usually find written at the back of each and every truck or public carrier vehicles. We reasoned that the doctor had told each and every person about his civil services preparation. He was clearing his medicine papers and he was also trying for civil service. Every one tried to learn how he was managing his preparation. Whereas, this boy has not revealed it to his nearest relatives about his preparation till his name appeared in the list of the successful candidates.

In short, Nazar and Hok ‘ka, Try to save yourself from these two curses. Do not let many people know that you are preparing it.
You may find it amusing. Well, I believe in it. I claim that I am a grown up man, mature and experienced person. I talk about logic and reason. Well, there are some facts, which defy reasoning. It is not a matter of choice. It is basically a limit of our reasoning faculties decided by nature herself. There are many things which defy explanation. The solution is not to reject them or escape from them or overlook them. Just do not let them go out of consideration. You may not give much importance to them but you should also not ignore them at all.

38 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:15 PM

    HI SUMIR,

    I AM ROHINI. EVEN I WAS PREPARING FOR CIVIL SERVICES N I FEEL THE SAME WHEN I LOOK AT MY OLD NOTES... THE SAME WAY U FEEL BOUT IT.... N UR ASTROLOGY N "NAZAR" THING WAS MENTIONED N I BELIEVE IN IT.... I WAS ALSO PREPARING IN PATIALA WITH VINOD SHARMA SIR BUT I HAD GOT CERVICAL N SLIPPED DISC DUE TO WHICH I CUD NOT PREPARE N CUD NOT APPEAR IN EXAM......... ANY WAY LETS SEE WAT COMES NEXT... ALL THE BEST TO U FOR UR FUTURE.... BYE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:36 PM

      HII. can you tell me please that if a person has slipped disc but at that time he is normally fit. will he/she be declared unfit in civil services medical test??

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Reading this reminds me of my own failure many years ago.I could have done it.I was very good academically and topped medical exams.I lacked committment.I was ofcourse busy working as a resident coctor in surgery doing MS, but considering how badly I wanted to IAS, I should have shown more commitment, stayed home and prepared.I didnt and I paid the price.It took me years to get over it.Honestly I have not completely got over it.I left India so I could forget IAS.I am doing well in USA, but it still hurts when I read about IAS.I wanted to be involved in social upbringing of my country men and IAS was my intended way of doing it.I missed the boat for sheer lack of commitment.So, for all those who want to join IAS, make it the mission of your life for the 2 or 3 years while giving the exam.Spare no effort and give your best try.If you still didnt make it, then you will accept that you werent good enough and you will be fine.On the other hand , if you didnt put enough effort , you will repent for the rest of your life.Good luck to all my friends.

    Your friend
    Email: country_living_2003@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello sir,

    I came across your blog when i was searching for civil services coaching.in particular i was searching for mr. vinod sharma of patiala,as i do not have any contact details of his,if you have those contact details can you please forward those to me.I will be thankfull for that.thanks

    thanks
    navjot singh
    jyot429@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Navjot Singh,

    The Address is

    Vidyasagar Academy,
    Near 22 Phatak overbridge,
    Patiala.

    I believe the locality is called Talwar nagar. It is now adjcent to descending side of the overbridge and opposite to Model Town of Patiala.

    Hey, Just explore my Civil SErvice and General Studies Blog. You may find interesting tips and guidelines.

    I have displayed GS prelim 2005 fully solved. You may find some good tips on that blog.

    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sumir,

    Does the graduation marks (mine is 60.1%) affect the success in UPSC?

    Since my graduation marks are less, I have been advised not to take up the UPSC exams.

    Please assist me here.

    --Kishor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kishor,

    Who so ever told you that you should not take cs examination because of your score at graduation level, is not advising you rightly.

    Try to understand, the UPSC eligibility condition is minimum graduation and that is all. There is no condition of percentage or grade at all and it does not matter upto your final selection. At no stage it is ever told that there is minimum required marks. In short, you should go ahead with your preparation.

    I believe that the discussions above may have given you the feeling that what it makes to be a success at CS examination. The first requirement is your personal commitment with your own self. You should have directional motivation. You have to take the examination then what may come, you do it. Second thing is selection of subject and collection of material. Last year question papers, selection of topics in elective subjects, consistent preparation over one year and lot of confidence in your own self are some of the requisite which any successful candidate may tell. Visit the Ministry of Personal Affairs Ministry and get the address of the successful candidates. All of them most probably sitting at home presently as they usually join in the month of August. Most of them are graceful people and they can motivate you in the right direction. Listen to all, but never loose the sight of the target. No family affair like marriages, function should be given priority when you are preparing. No emotional disturbances, no negative thoughts. No doubt, the duration of taking this exams is long and sense of fear always lurk. But a lit bit of luck and lot of hardwork will decide the issue in your favour. It is just like this. Believe me. Pick up the syllabus, break it down to repeated topics, prepare, write and write and maintain your composure. In case of General Studies, keep on reading one or two news papers, maintain a register of different headings, take cue from last year papers, understand the breakup of the General Studies Paper A and GS B, and maintain your revision upto to the examination day.

    You can get some hints from my blog generalstudiesupsc.blogspot.com. Click on the sitemeter which provides the number of visitors to my blog, you will find the details of the people and the queries which carried them to the blog. You will definitely develop a picture that what the aspirants are working on. Similarly, download the Year Book and use the chapters therein as you topics for GS.

    You may talk to me at 09815233050.

    I must end my response by cautioning you that it is you who matters. Maintain your emotional balance. Just read what one doctor who is probably in US had commented way back in 2005 on this very post and he had laid bare true feelings.

    Your marks in Graduation have nothing to do with your performance or even you merit in the final selection. It may only matter at the time of allocation of cadre but even there, the final recommendation of the interview board matters. Secondly, first division rather shows, that you must give a try. I know some highly placed IAS, IRS and IPS officers who were third division pass. They are holding Finance secretary level posts now and one of them is ADGP. Therefore, shed this mental block.

    Sumir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sumir,

    Thank you very much for such a motivational ADVICE.

    I decided that I will start my preparations for Civil Services Examination.

    In case of any issues in future, I will definitely contact you.

    GOD BLESS YOU.

    -Kishor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:26 PM

    i want to konw which subject i opt for prelim as i m having computer engineering background .please also tell me othe other books and magazine to follows
    Er.umang Garg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:24 PM

    mr. kishor i hav just done my graduation and i m dng mba. i did bsc but i want to tak history and pol sci as optionals. is it right choice opting sub other than graduation sub. with my mba i m preparing for ssc and bank po . i hav planned to get a job in 2yr. upto 23yr of age ang then devote 6-7 yr only for ias. but as u knw pcs exam notification had cm. i hav two options either prepare for pcs or continue with po n ssc prep.
    what shd i do .
    reply me sir
    regards ankit
    anandankit007@gmail.com
    9855942305

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Umang Garg,
    Kindly send me your email, or visit generalstudiesupsc.blogspot.com or email me at sumirsha attherate of gmail dot com.
    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi ankit,

    Let me clarify, I am sumir and kishore was one of the aspirants like you who had talked to me.

    You have a clarity of thought but getting confuse about the game plan. You must exercise here cognition clarity. PCS v/s IAS (which may see sea changes in next six to seven years- it seems that you want to avail OBC quota) v/s ssc v/s bank po. The target is job and you are pursuing mba (hopefully from some good institution). You are equally not clear about the choice of subject. You are doing MBA. May I ask you that have you seen the syllabus of PUblic Administration attentively and also your own syllabus?

    visit generalstudiesupsc.blogspot.com or email me at sumirsha attherate of gmail dot com.
    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:11 PM

    Hello Sir,

    I read in 12th class in humanties stream.
    I want to become an IAS.
    Kindly suggest me what i should have to do..

    Kulwinder Singh
    jattkulwinder@gmail.com

    pleaseeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:54 PM

    good evening sir...
    sir pls culd u guide me that the notes for current affairs delievered by MR.VINOD SHARMA are enough for the entrance??
    pls reply sir

    ReplyDelete
  14. Use your discretion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sumeer Sir, I read u, realy its very unexpected. Bt its would be very beneficial for other aspirants, who want to become IAS, bcz they can undrstand and learn to u Sir. I can say only one thing .... Which is that its al hapnd bcz of ur destiny .... Ur destiny wil goes u diffrnt path and its already written. U r BEST . U cn do anythng, nthng z impossible to u. I feel after read u.
    SIR
    My name is ANKIT JAIN, i have done MBA with finance this year. 2010 . I have gud in finance, sharemarket, marketing , and accounting related topics. But nw I want to do IAS. In graduation BCOM I HAVE 56 percntage, in MBA i have 65. And nw i m doing job in LIC as development officer. Plz guide me sir what i wl have to do for clear CSAT 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ankit,

    Thanks for showing concern.

    I share another aspect of my life with you. I also started my career as development officer in LICI in 1989. I had a team of 17 agents and three of them are still active.

    Percentage does not matter. It requires right planning, hardwork and commitment. It is same as they write in appointment letter that you have to show your 'grit'. Ok, Show your grit.

    One thing more, now when I evaluate my career chart, I find that my LIC career was also a cause of failure. In sales job, you are not at liberty to adopt a schedule. The sale targets are to be achieved. Secondly, in order to sell Bima, you require different mind set. MBA or knowledge of accounts can be an added advantage, but I know many 10th pass agents with ZM club membership who are more than DOs. It requires different mind set. If you make money the only target of your life, then I think that DO is the right post provided they do not abolish it in near future. So, your are the best judge now.

    Civil Services means status and power. DO means freedom to make money. You have the right qualification for money matters. Now, you have to decide, what matters to you, MONEY or the POWER and STATUS.

    You can talk to me at 09815233050 (Ludhiana - Punjab)

    Just one more thing, Check out http://mrunal-exam.blogspot.com/. The blogger is really talking. You may consult my blogs also.

    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:08 PM

    hello sir,
    i am divya singla, resident of patiala, pursuing B.A.LL.B.{honors} from Rajiv Gandhi national university of law. i am in the first year.i am very clear about my goal of becoming ias.1 major and only problem that always refrain me frm my goal is my emotional state.i am very very emotional person. second, i dun feel confidence in myself.i don't know y i always feel myself inferior in front of other persons.i really want to do hard work.thing is i don't know where to start from.i am thinking to join vinod sharma institute now because i want to improve my gk nd english part, just want to be perfect in that. though, 4 years are there for me to prepare.

    sir, i need ur help. i was searching in google for ias articles, then came through ur blog and this article. u r right sir, we need to get over our emotions, just have 1 thing in mind- our goal !!

    hope to receive ur response asap.

    Divya Singla
    email- dv.scorpio198@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Divya

    It is so sweet and touching to read your pure and pristine utterances.

    Kindly read an interview of IAS topper at http://civilservices-prelims.blogspot.com/2005/05/emotional-interview-of-ias-topper.html

    or you can reach it at http://www.newindiadigest.com/bidari.htm

    I am sure it will be reading tonic to you.

    You can also adopt some faith system. It means adopting some spiritual anchoring like having prayers at a temple or home. Adopt a belief system as per you culture and family ground. However, I am personally against the present trend of gurus, matas, pitas and deras.

    Patiala also known for good astrologers apart from vinod sharma. Thinks on those lines also. (I can see frowns and amusing faces. But, being a history teacher, I have learned to give space to every thought, even the deras people inspite of my above statement in contradiction.).


    Yes, you can talk to me. You can talk to me at 09815233050 (Ludhiana - Punjab)

    If it pleases you then kindly choose a time between 12.30 pm to 1.30 pm or 4 pm to 9 pm any day.

    Good Wishes,
    Take care
    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello sir,
    i have read your blog and the interview of vijayalakshmi bidari and many people's
    i have an ambition to become an I.P.S officer and surely i have to and i will do it....Now i am studying 2nd year electronics and instrumentation engineering dual degree course....i will attempt civil service in 2015.
    Many are advising not to start preparation from now onwards but my view is that if i start preparing from now instead of dedicating a complete year for it, it's easy to clear in 1st attempt itself.......so please help me to overtake this confusion, i will be thankful for your reply sir......some are telling that pattern of cse may change ...so please consider it and suggest me sir.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:01 PM

    Hello sir,

    I m manpreet kaur, I read ur entire post n for a while I was a bit emotional but then I was like NO u dint loose anything as u r helping others for nothing in return n that is the most divine job on the earth, m sure one day u'll definately be reward in one or the other way.
    God bless

    I need ur help sir, i want to become ias officer. i did MCA so having no hold on social science and even GS that's why m bit nervous.
    How to boost up my confidence, i m doing selfstudy but can't gear up.

    Basically m from UP n patiala is favourable place for me, i heard about Mr Vinod Sharma even read on internet and now ur blog, pls if u have his contact number kindly provide me.

    Sir, as i've to start from the scratch, will coaching from Mr V.Sharma is optimal for the aspirants like me?

    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Manpreet,

    2008 topper was with computer background and she topped the list with public administration and sociology. Her blog is still available.

    Vinod Sharma coaching classes are located in Talwar Nagar, Near 22 no Phatak. He has named it Vidyasagar Academy. As far my knowledge goes, he gives notes on History, sociology, public administration, defence studies and sanskrit. I do not have his phone number.

    I had titled my write up as "Emotional Management: A Key to Success". If you are able to get into the spirit of the title and write up, then you have the answer. It is the jittery nervous which you have to control and just believe in yourself. Rest leave it to the future. Just start. Get the syllabus of you elective subject. Collect the last year papers. It is available at upsc.gov.in. It is also available at upscportal.com ( I am not advertising for them. The information at that portal is required for candidates like you and therefore, I am directing your attention to that site.)Start collecting material. Revise and write and write. The GS format has changed. Seek some advice on it. Just have faith in yourself and your god. Start preparing and take examination.
    May God Bless You
    Sumir

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:15 PM

    Hello sir

    upscportal.com really helped me.
    thanx a lot sir.

    Manpreet

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Nikhil,

    This is a common question and general dilemma for all the aspirants. Unfortunately, there is no dependable answer.

    I will suggest that you must make up your mind about the subjects which you will opt for Main Examination.

    Secondly, go through the GS mains question paper, get a feel about the range and dimensions of the questions which are being asked and develop an ability to develop your general awareness accordingly.

    Reading is a good thing which you begin from now on.

    As far the changes are concerned, then it is true that the Commission as well the Ministry of Personnel Affairs, pension and Public Grievance are serious to review the selection process. After Hota Committee report in 2005 (If I am recollecting the year rightly), the first change came only in 2011. Even that was done only at preliminary stage.

    There are suggestion of reducing the age limit. There are suggestions to change the format of the Mains examination and make a targeted towards specific subjects like Public Administration as DP Aggarwal, the present chairman of UPSC had suggested. He has a background of an academician from Management side. I believe they may bring some changes.

    But we have to remember the demographic structure, education spread, the social structure of India and the issue of reservation and deprived classes. I do not believe that there would be must drastic change till 2015. I believe those who are preparing for CS for next four to five years, they should not let these talks hamper their enthusiasm for career in Civil Services. They should prepare for GS and CSAT at prelims level. Essays, two elective subjects and GS at Main level.

    I hope it satisfy you and help to clear some cloudiness even if I have evaded giving some assertive and straight answers.

    Good Wishes to a future cop,

    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI Sumir,

    CAn i get your email address ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is sumirsha at gmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous6:29 PM

    hello sir,
    my name is rajan.
    at first i want to thnnk u for sharing the lettor. I Can easily feel tht nd reading tht injected a sudden sparkle of courage and self confidence in me...
    nd 1 thng i want to say u is-wtevr happens,happens for our good...bt may be difficult for us to face it sometimes...MAY GOD BLESS U :)

    I am doing b-tech(right now in 2nd year) in civil engineering from PEC Chandigarh.
    I ALSO WANT TO CRACK CIVIL SERVICES LIKE MANY.
    BT I DNT KNOW FROM WHERE TO START.
    IM CONFUSED ABT MY SUBJECTS!
    IM GUD AT MATHEMATICS BT IHAV HEARD THT ITS NT VERY SCORING LIKE HISTORY,GEO..ETC
    SHUD I JOIN ANY INSTITUTE IN CHD LIKE ABHIMANYU INSTITUTE ION SEC 36 OR SHUD I GO TO VINOD SHARMA SIR IN PATIALA.
    I CAN GO PATIALA DAILY IF THE EFFECT OF HIS TEACHING WILL BE CONSIDERABLE.
    these r my most of confusions-TO CHOOSE SUBJECTS,TO JOIN INSTITUTES..etc nd i hope u l help me also like u hav helped others...
    thnnqqq

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh dear, how sweet of you to say such words.

    The central idea of my reminiscence is the convey the idea of self confidence.

    You are learning in field which is all about of structure building. You are expert in raising structures which sustains from generation to generations.

    Selection of subject is definitely crucial. You must have confidence and commitment to prepare the subjects. If you evaluate the combination of successful candidates, it is very difficult to conclude that which combination is avoidable. On statistical basis, you may identify some subjects as more popular subjects but that is no basis of selection. The main issue is your abilities like ability to read and ability of comprehending abstruse concept especially in case of science subjects. This you have to see yourself. Secondly, you should not adopt egoistic approach wherein some candidates just pick physics and mathematics to demonstrate that they can manage with difficult subjects. That should not be the approach. You may thing of taking punjabi literature and make combination with mathematics but the issue is your ability to read and comprehend a particular stream of knowledge. Like in case of Engineering subjects, there are people who totally ruled them out. The Engineers students themselves claim that it is difficult to cover that syllabus. Hence, such confusion remains.

    As far as joining the groups are concerned, it my view, and mark it, that is a view, that groups only give you an environment. The actual thing which matters is your commitment. If it is Vinod Sharma here then it is Vajji Ram in Delhi. When we used prepare, Rau's Study group was considered as the sure bet of clearing it. The course groups may help you to remove confusion but to recommend any particular one, then I will be the last person to recommend any one of them. It Patiala group get 5 to 10 person to his name, then it is definitely a remarkable achievement. But same claims are by the Pbi University centre in Patiala. Hence, you join such a group which does not take away much time so that you can devote more time at your own. The group should also not charge too high a fee.

    I hope, you can get your answers.
    sumir

    ReplyDelete
  28. SIR I m new to this blog..please can u suggest me the best coaching centre for ias in delhi and punjab?? and sir can u please also tell me how is VIDYASAGAR ACADEMY OF VINDO SHARMA in patiala is??? one of my friend told me about this....and sir i m in the final year of my graduation ...so should i start preparing for this after my graduation???

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello sir,
    i m manpreet kaur from patiala.presently persuing my m.tech in environment science and technology from thapar university.it is very important for me to become an ias because of some personal reasons.my basic prblm is from where i shud start.i ready for hard work upto any extent but i hav a doubt in mind will it give me a ias title.i chose my subject agriculture and geology will it be a perfect combination or scoring.or i will rethink abt it.which magzine i shud follow nd i read newspaper but which type of news i shud remember carefully or which i just readout.if i chose to join the vinod sharma how much fee he charges will it benefited.thanks sir for giving us this wonderful blog.this really help a lot.nd i prblm is i wil forget wht i studied.is this happen to everyone or i m exception nd wht is possible sol to overcome this prblm.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous8:31 PM

    Hello sir! I hv cmpleted my b.tech in ece now,,, I want to appear n clear pcs, it was my sisters aim in life bt due to some family problems she ws unable to go for it, nw I want to do it! I hv 70 in btech overall. Pls tel me whther the coaching in pbi uni ptiala is worth or not as they r cmpleting d entire course in 2 mnths. I heard fr sir vinod sharma here also. Bt they provide coaching fr IAS. Shud I go fr IAS coaching, will it b beneficial in my pcs exam or not, as I hv heard dat if u prepare fr ias u can clear pcs easily! M totally novice. Pls help me out. I was searchin fr sir vinod sharma's address, where I found ur blog, it really motivated me a lot!! I learnt dat success is nt sure,bt one must atleast give a TRY! Pls suggest me to take what cmbination which ll help me both in ias and pcs. Shud I go fr pbi uni ptiala or sir vinod sharma! I can't spent much on coaching as abhimaniyus charge a very high fee, pls guide me sir!

    Harveen patiala

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous2:27 PM

    Sir, iam too an IAS aspirant. I must say ur blog motivated me highly. I would be grateful if u can please guide me reaching my goal.. can i have ur contact details? email id and number..
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello sumir sir , my name is rahul aggarwal from bathinda Punjab .I read u blogs oll r too effective. Due to dis I want to meet you personally for get rite knowledge n aspirational platform to crack ias &PCs . So you plz tell me n give ur tym to meet you . Thnku

    ReplyDelete
  33. hello sumir sir ,my name is Sahil singla from samana (distt.patiala). i read ur blogs sir. i am in bcom last year and i want to start preparation of ias&pcs can i start to taking coaching now or after bcom completion plz suggest me sir ..
    thanku
    email: sahilsingla442@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous7:26 PM

    hello sumir sir
    I am priya sharma i did my MSc. chemistry in 2014. I want to become a pcs officer i belong to ludhiana sir i am really very tensed and confused about my optional subjects, coaching and success. from where should i start, which subjects should i choose, where should i take coaching from, will i succeed. I really want to make it because its my dream. sir i am a very homely, shy and reserved girl and i think i can't study out of my homely environment, so i don't want to go out of ludhiana. sir can you please tell me about pcs coaching in ludhiana or else from where should i take coaching. please advice me sir
    i shall be highly thankful to you for this favour

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous7:27 PM

    yes

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear Sir, with due respect I would beg to differ from you. I am sorry to say that the concept of Nazar is totally vague. The doctor ( that you have used as an example) was not able to clear UPSC because he might have a logical and scientific bent of mind. He is good in science/medicine doesn't makes sure that he would be good in history, geography, polity and other subjects of UPSC too. Being a science student I can say you that we have a different approach to studies and answer writing we never practise. But in UPSC answer writing practise and technique matters a lot. We can't quote someone's failure to prove our vague notions of Nazar.
    Let me give you an example. Should Bollywood celebrities stop promoting their movies, so that they can't get buri nazar. If they don't promote they will ran into failure.
    Don't Buri Nazar affects persons such as Ansar Sheikh, Vivek Chauhan ( All civil services rank holders) from very humble backgrounds. Don't their relatives think that how could they be so successful? If Buri nazar really exist then why it stops working when one gets successful or become an IAS officer.
    Not revealing to others about your preparation to others is a good thing not because of Buri Nazar but of Pressure. Then you will no longer be under the pressure of hopes and aspirations of so many people from you.
    I hope I have clarified my point. Constructive criticism and fruitful debate is highly welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sumir Sir,
    Lovd reading your posts ..even though I am not for civil services field but loved the way you had explained various factors which one can co relate to other fields
    Wish you very best in writing and motivating..
    regards
    VK

    ReplyDelete