Friday, June 02, 2006

Peril of Being a Whistle Blower


It is a story concerning my brush with Print Media people.


The story goes somewhat like this.


A report appeared in an additional pull out of a leading national newspaper. In that newspaper, it was reported that a student had cleared the Civil Services Examination. I maintain a civil services blog. This year I have plans to collect the data on the candidates from Punjab who clear the civil services. Therefore, when I read the report, I started looking out for the details of that candidate in the lists published on the government of India web site. I found that the name did not appear in the list. I made some more searches which convinced me that the report was a fake.


First I thought of making a report myself and place it on my blog. It did not appeal to me. I just thought of sending an email to the publication about my search on the authenticity of the report. I did that. Then, as I had saved a phone number of a reporter of the same publication which I had never thought to use, I rang her up and shared my finding. I also told her, that I had already sent an email on the web site of their publication. On her suggestion, I directed that email to an address which she provided. I got interested in this activity. After having emailed the details, I started looking out in the newspaper for report concerning the above mentioned reporting. When it did not appear, I again contacted the above mentioned reporter. She apprised me that as she had inadvertently deleted the folder in which she had received my email and again requested me to resent the emails. She also explained that due to week ends she was not able to check with the authorities whose students had claimed to have cleared the examination. I suggested her to check the upsc site. She showed her failure to locate the result on the site. I told about the link on the upsc site to access the link. Then she also shared the problem of slow down load of the site. On that, I volunteered to send her all the links and reports. I directed her attention that the result was also reproduced by me on my other site at civilservices-prelims.blogspot.com. After that I again started looking out for the news in their newspaper. But in the meantime, I lost the interest in this activity.


When I start working on my computer, I first indulge in frivolous activities. It is at such time, I sometime write about what goes on my mind. Somewhere, this report and incidence remained on my mind and I felt, that one should put up such reporting also one owns blog. On Internet, I talk of democratization of knowledge which is approved by many leading scholars from different countries. They have placed their comments even on the posting where I have talked about such things. Another thing which matters on Internet is the issue of locating the authentic information. Therefore, I always try to discuss and deal in such reporting which are not authentic and genuine. I am not the only person to do it. The serious people keep on discussing such things on the web. I felt that this report comes under that genre. Therefore, I made a small report and placed it on my this very blog. My intentions were clear and pure. I have felt that the newspaper is a respectable organization but in case of this incidence their activity was not leaving any good impression. I had written that report which was determined by such a feeling. It was for the first time, that I was writing a pointed criticism, therefore, I thought it prudent to direct the link in an email to the concerned people also. I had their email address only because they had provided it when they needed some information from me. It became easy for me to send them an email. I opened my send folder, located their email address and sent the link of my posting.


After that I left my place and visited some of my friends in one other state. The incidence was lapsing down in my mind and I was now forgetting it. But, it was not to happen like that.


Just a day back, after returning from my visit, I got engrossed in my reading and writing activities. When I read or write something, I keep my phone away. In the evening I found that there was five missed calls. I checked the phone book. It was from one landline number and one from the reporter whom I had contacted earlier. I first tired the landline number. I learned that it was from the publication of the same reporter. I asked for the reporter as I had guessed that it was she who was calling me.


When the reporter came on the line, she talked about my posting, of which I had sent a link to their office. She told me that they had already reported their follow up to that report. I told about my ignorance about that. She assured me to tell me the date. The talk ended when I told her that I would call back to learn about the date and the edition in which they had reported.


I again called her on her mobile. She told me the date and the page number wherein they had denied the report. Then she also expressed her displeasure and the annoyance of her office on the contents of my posting. I told her that I was expecting a call back from her for which she explained that why she was not able to call back. Then we discussed about removing the post. I told her, even if I would remove it, the cache memory would remain and that bolg is of a long standing and web crawlers cover it also. Secondly, I told that I had written what had happened. The way out was to add some remark about. The talk remained inclusive as her mobile does not remain consistently on the waves. While telling about the annoyance of her group, she expressed some strong feelings also. I never had the idea to hurt anyone. But, I feel concerned if some one feels hurt even if I am right. Therefore, I decided to add some comments to the report.


After that, I received a phone call from a friend. The person is highly educated, highly experienced and well connected. I shared this episode with him. We discussed all the aspects of this episode. I shared with him some of my fears which was induced by talking to that reporter. Being an experienced person, he assured me and advised me to remain calm and unperturbed. He rather suggested different legal means and remedies which I could avail if the newspaper organization became somewhat adventurous. He assured that it was their wrong reporting which started all this activity. They would never be able to defend that reporting.


However, I felt that as a civilized person, I should make some correction to the report. As I had decided earlier, I added some comments.


I made the required changes to the post that irritated the people of the national daily. I thought it in right course of the things to send the link of the edited post to the concerned newspaper organization. I sent the link. After that I thought I should inform them also on telephone. I should maintain my grace even if they had not shown such virtues.


I rang up at their office on their landline number. A person picked the phone. I persuaded her to tell her name. She told that she was Parvinder. I then started telling the motive of my calling them. Before, I could complete, there came a bust of strong contention and threats which were uncalled for. It was an experience to listen to such uncivilized verbal attack. I also reverted back with some strong voice but remaining within civilized limits. But it was an experience to listen that how a big organization behaves and react on their own fault and how far they could go to threat.


I tried to call the earlier reporter who collected data from me. But the phone was disconnected without any response.


This will remain an experience with me. It was an experience of being a whistle blower. Rang De Basti. Page 3. Azad. New Delhi Times. I have just tried to do what the respectable citizens should have done. I tried to maintain a grace of an educated person and expecting a reciprocation from a big organization. What I received back is a lesson for future on how to deal them next time.


The episode revealed above is related to my post at Unconfirmed Story by HT Ludhiana Live which appears in the archive of month May 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment