Sunday, June 25, 2006

Impulsive Internet Use-How Far a Problem


There was a report in The Tribune date January 31, 2005, by Neelam Sharma on a thesis by Dr. Sanjay Khanna wherein it was reported that a percentage of the internet users and surfer are compulsive sufferers suffering from mental disorder.


I introduced this topic (Internet related psychiatric disorder) on Education Forum and the leading administrator John Simkin came out with some supportive remarks. He wrote,
"Am I addicted? Maybe. I definitely get withdrawal symptoms when I am denied access to the web. Therefore, on holiday, I need to search out a local Internet Café every few days."


I had posted it on the Education Forum in the month of February 2005, when there was regular disruption of electricity in Punjab. Whenever the supply was restored, my first act had been to start my computer and log on to Internet. Most of the time, it happened that when I had just browsed through some of the sites and planned to start some substantial work related to my job, the supply went off again. It just gave me bouts of anger. I can not share whom I had been cursing and against whom I passed abuses though I live in a democratic country. In between, that was during the phased out period of electric supply, I read books related to my subject and job or watched television on the inverter supply or just killed time. Now these days, rather since long, I do not write on pages. I directly write on my computer. When electricity was not there, that could have not been done. No doubt, it was a great loss.


This year (in 2006), there is more acute shortage of electricity in Punjab. I do not know that how the present government keeps on boosting of her achievement in the newspapers through the government public relation department by inserting a slip in most of the dailies. The same thing had happened this year also. Whenever, electricity supply was discontinued, I sat idle doing nothing and fought the sultry season of Indian summer. When the electricity was restored, I again opened my computer and logged on to Internet. This year the problem is more acute.


By the way, can any one tell me that is it true India is showing 8% growth in her GDP? How is it being achieved when the basic infrastructure is not at all suited for a growing economy? How is it that when there is so miserable situation of electric supply, pothole decorated roads, increased oil prices, zooming prices of day to day basic life essentials and a sense of fear that all this talk of "India Shinning" may be a bluff played on the countrymen even then the investors are so bullish on India? I am unable to understand an economics wherein the economy is growing even when there is less of electricity, disruptive roads and high cost of basic essential items.


Well coming back to the theme, as I was saying that whenever the electric supply was restored, I just booted my computer and logged on to Internet. In between, I have found good primary sources on Internet which I am trying to review and read. However, the task reamins unaccomplished because of the disruption in the electricity supply. I find myself sitting with the family members playing games and cursing being in a country where there is so much of heat and no standard of life. However, whenever the supply is restored I again come on to the Internet. This thing is going on for a month. I have not been able to do any substantial work. Many tasks which I have planned for myself, are lying incomplete. The worst thing is that I have not able to complete the paper of General Studies Prelims and the posting of all the answers is still pending.


When I was not so immured in Internet activity, I used to read some books. But that activity was not proving useful. I used to make notes and papers used to get piled up in rooms. I have transferred a large quantity of my writing on the computer but an equal amount of activity had gone waste because after sometime I had thrown those papers in garbage. Now in case of Internet and especially through blogging I am able to preserve some of my works. But this lack of electricity supply is hindering my efforts.


I believe somewhere it is also reflecting on my overall behaviour with my family members. When I am able to read some good book, I remain in very good and satisfying mood. But if I am not able to work, or read good work, I become irritated. I think somewhere my family members felt that I was becoming more irritating. They have complained that whenever there is electricity, I remain busy on the Internet but when I am free I remain idle and lethargic. No doubt, I have not been able to do other works related to household responsibilities. They somehow concluded that if I remain busy on my computer, I become more cooperative and productive. Well it was the suggestion of the family members, and they proposed that I should think of getting a generator or a good backup inverter. I questioned about the desirability of making such spending. Secondly I revealed that I would not be able to afford such expenditure. Thirdly I am strongly against putting up a generator. It makes lot of noise and create nuisance. Secondly, it becomes a cause of air pollution. Most of the neighbours have installed it. There are laws against making a noise to a particular level. There are concerns at world level to reduce the atmospheric pollution. But who cares? In India, the people who know better than everyone and they know how to get the things done, at least they do not care. The family members felt that I had gone mad. They believe that I am a misfit. However, they came up with a proposal to contribute for buying a backup inverter on which I could run my computer. I asked the rationale and basis of their concern. They came up with the answer that it would help me to undertake my activity on Internet and also to do some of the work which is desired by them from me which could be accomplished through printing the letters on the computer. I bit the deal. Well here I am again on the Internet. Let us see what will happen when the electricity again goes off. I may be on Internet for a while. The system is of 500 watts with 800 Va specification. The vendor has assured that my computer would run for three to four hours if I run only computer and one fan on the device.


I have completed writing this stuff. The electricity supply was consistent. But, after having the system at place, I am again browsing the Internet. While doing that I have just punched in keys to write this stuff. I wonder if it is an impulsive activity with me now.
Acknowledgement:

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 PM

    May be u r addicted..as the say excess of everything is bad ..i would recommend u to try taking out some time away from internet when u can read some good books newspaper etc..it would help u get out of this addiction..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riya
    Thanks for the concern.

    I must say that you must visit education forum as suggested above.

    It was something which we teachers discusses bit in lighter mood.

    Internet as such is not a problem. The issue is how to absorb this technology in your existing paradigm. On education forum, internet has been termed as the next big revolution after the press or in other words, the printed matter. We believe that books in form of printed pages will not loose its relevance but internet will definitely took over the place of reading medium.

    thanks.

    sumir

    ReplyDelete